Our programs support school-to-career activities that provide an organized scope and sequence for career planning. Youth participating in these activities see how classroom lessons are connected to the world of work. They learn about job options, begin to envision future career and education paths, and gain confidence in their first steps along their career journey.
- Hot Jobs 4U, the Road Show delivers business professionals to the classroom and includes follow up travel to special events for a more in-depth look at career options. The goal of this event is to provide students with information regarding in-demand professions, emerging job titles, and industry trends in various fields. During this activity, students connect with presenters through conversations and demonstrations. Students enjoy hands-on activities and learn about job responsibilities, education and skill requirements, industry trends, and the real atmosphere of the workplace.
- River East School-to-Career Scholarship for Career Development is part of this organization’s broader focus of helping to prepare our future workforce for success in the 21st century workplace. It is designed to support the career pursuits and goals of the recipient. It is awarded to eligible students who use school-based and work-based career education resources and demonstrate authenticity, insight, and commitment toward the development of their future career.
Employer involvement is key in helping students explore career possibilities and develop core skills that are valuable in the workplace. River East School-to-Career, Inc. provides the infrastructure for employers to partner with school districts that are ready for their support.
- Employers in our network play an important role in activities such as career speaking engagements, job shadowing, worksite tours, work readiness training, and Work-Based Learning (Internships and Cooperative Education). Join our network to offer assistance in any of these career related activities.
- The Annual Recognition Program is our signature event that spotlights outstanding Work-Based Learning student-mentor teams, business champions, and scholarship recipients. It is a celebration of the business and education partnerships that are helping students prepare for their future career. This inspiring event provides a venue for students, educators, and business partners to share their stories about the powerful impact of Work-Based-Learning experiences as well as other school-to-career activities. Held the 2nd Thursday in May at the Ludlow Country Club, this event is attended by nearly 100 school administrators, educators, employers, mentors, and students.
Schools contribute greatly to shaping the workforce of tomorrow. For example, when teachers link their subjects to the world of work, they can increase a student’s perception of the relevance of the curriculum. This presents an ideal opportunity to invite career speakers into the classroom to talk about how they use the knowledge, tools, and skills that are covered in the lesson topic. A partnership between educators, employers, and post-secondary institutions helps young people explore the opportunities open to them and helps them take purposeful steps toward their future. River East School-to-Career is a connection between the classroom and the community.
- Professional development opportunities are offered in a variety of facilitated learning experiences and occasions for peer sharing and learning. Fortify your school-to-career system through the sharing of best practices with your colleagues. School staff keep up to date by attending School-to-Career/Connecting Activities conferences and training programs. Technical assistance and support materials are provided throughout the year.
River East School-to-Career is supported through the generous backing of our business community, school district membership dues, and state funding. In addition to these funding sources, we offer several other opportunities to ensure our sustainability into the future.
- Donations--Like what we do? Consider making a donation to support our programs.
- Sponsorships--Opportunities are available to sponsor the Annual Recognition Program, Scholarship for Career Development, and career exploration events.
- Fundraising--Our ongoing fundraiser with RADA Cutlery features American made kitchen knives, kitchen utensils, cutlery gift sets, quick mixes, and more. A percentage of the sales goes to support our organization.